The last few days I've been thinking with this election and all. I've decided it seems to bring the worst out of some people. Being in a red state, it's really hard for my side of anything to be heard. People wonder why I haven't registered to vote, and this is the reason. My voice to be heard in this state does not seem to matter (and don't give me that crap about how if I don't register, I don't have the right to talk about politics). Now, I know that the reason behind that is because of the "Christians". Most choose to vote all republican, but when someone has a difference of an opinion, they "don't understand how anyone could vote democrat." Hearing that everywhere I go is no picnic, mind you, and when my own family puts other people down just because they don't vote (or think) republican, is just plain absurd! I just don't understand how a religion who teaches you to accept people for who they are, treat others as you wanted to be treated, and "judge not lest ye be judged" can be so condescending to their fellow friends and family.
I have to say this, because I know that not all people of that faith are like that. For you to accept people as they are is truly a "Christ-like" (this seems to be the best way of explaining it) behavior. To actually befriend someone who doesn't believe the way you, yourself do, is a great act that anyone can show someone.
A great example of a person who shows everyone kindness is my father-in-law. He doesn't claim to be any sort of religion, but he is the kindest person I know. If anyone is in need of anything, he is there for them. A great example of this is his so-called "mid life crisis". He has taken in young women who have had addiction problems with amphetamines, alcohol, and any other sort of addicting habit that usually throws you in jail. His act of acceptance of others is something you do not come across very often in the state of Utah. He went to NA and AA meetings with these girls. He took them in when no one else would. He helped them through there habits, and has made so much impact on other people's lives. He is a person who cannot say no to helping someone out. His father, who is 93 years old, who cannot take care of his yard or other simple tasks around the house, gets helped every week by my father-in-law. To show so much compassion for so many people is just a great thing.
I would not consider myself to be a democrat, but a libertarian. I believe that people should have the freedoms that were written within the constitution that our fore-fathers meant this country to stand on. I believe in freedom of speech. I believe in equal rights to everyone (yes, even the homosexuals), because of this so-called "land of the free". I see our country slowly going into a downward spiral because of someone who has abused his power time and time again over the last eight years. He lied to, and deceived us, and promised so many things, yet here we are, 4,191 of our young casualties who have died because of someone who didn't solve the problems that needed to be dealt with at hand first and foremost! Now don't give me that crap about how those people signed up and knew what they were walking into. Yes, they knew to a point. 9/11 was committed by some Afghanistan people, not by the Iraqi people. There was no evidence of WMD's, so do what you need to do and get our troops back home safely.
I know everyone has a difference of an opinion, but to just outright place the blame on everyone else but yourselves (and certain people in office) is ridiculous. This country has taken a turn for the worse since his reign of terror. I am not afraid of what Obama will bring to this country. He seems to want to make peace with our fellow countries who have lost all respect for us in the last 8 years. I think he is the right person for this, and a large percentage agree with me on that. And to that, I say God Bless America, and let the afraid flee to Canada!


3 comments:
If you don't voice your opinion you won't even have the chance to be heard. If everyone in your red state who thinks blue never voted, nothing will change.
Most people I know are saying homosexuals aren't allowed to have rights. Many people feel that we can give them rights and still reserve the sanctity of marriage. Many people are in favor of civil unions. So even though you read that someone is against gay marriage, it's not necessarily saying they are descriminating against homosexuals. On top of that, if you're referring to Prop 8 in the CA ballot, it came about because CA had voted to keep marriage between a man and a woman and the judges overturned it...which shouldn't have happened. It wasn't their place to step in. So Prop 8 ended up back on the ballot.
I don't think you can blame everything on President Bush, either. There are checks and balances in place for a reason. There is also the Senate and the House. And to think that Obama is going to lower taxes for the middle class like he promises while the economy is like it is is foolish. It's foolish to believe that McCain would lower taxes. It's just not happening...
You may agree with and believe in the Constitution and rights that we're allowed through that document, but Obama has a difference of opinion.
I don't like the idea of Obama as POTUS, but there isn't much I can do about it but stand united behind our country (including Obama) and prepare myself like the Lord and the Prophet has warned us to.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Also, if you really want some insight on what is happening in Afghanistan and Iraq, you might want to talk to Joey...he's someone who's been there, done that, SEEN that, and still understands a lot of it because his middle-eastern studies and background.
I can agree with everything you have said Cherstin. Thank you for not putting me down so hard. I know Bush has done things right, as with wrong, and I do believe that will happen with every president that we have. I'm glad you stand by your country, and aren't threatening to move to canada. It helps to have the support. Thanks!
Post a Comment