My World

Sadie Ladie

PitaPata Dog tickers

08 January 2009

Endodontic Appointment 1/7/2009

Yesterday I went in to see the Endodontist. They basically specialize in root canals. I've had this tooth that had a root canal quite a few years ago, and then it started hurting again, and had to have it retreated. Right before my wedding I had the tooth crowned. About a month and a half ago it abscessed, and I had my dentist sand down the crown because we both thought it was too high and getting irritated from that. My dentist told me that if it abscessed again, to go see an Endodontist, so I called them on Monday.

Well, I get there about 1 pm, and they had fallen behind. Don't blame them because I was one of those people that took a couple of hours as well. They took an x-ray, and they saw there was an infection in 2 teeth that were close together. They said both teeth root canals looked really good, and the infection looked like it was along the jaw bone where my teeth join the jaw. The only way to get rid of it was to pull the teeth, or have surgery. I don't want to lose anymore teeth, but the surgery was expensive. I opted for the surgery because I have a credit card that has no interest for 12 months. I can make payments as if it was set up like a doctors office.

I had to call someone for a ride home because I was going to be sedated and couldn't drive home. I was quite upset because of having that be one of 2 last resorts. I had to make a few phone calls because Brian was at work, with no car, so I called my mom, then my dad. My dad was available to come get me after the procedure (I had to call my boss to let him know that I wasn't going to be coming back in that day and possibly the next). Brian got off work anyway, but had to have B.J., his cousin/our room mate to come get him so they could come pick up his car (I can't drive a stick yet, and I was borrowing B.J.s car to go to the appointment). They both met at the Endodontist office around 4.

After I got off the phone with everyone they started the sedation process. I took an anti-nausea pill prior and they crushed up a sedation pill so it would work faster. The Endodontist then came in to numb my mouth up (I don't know why since I was going to be out of it!). They then put on the nitrous oxide, and the last thing I remember before I was out was the doctor doing another shot of the localized anesthetic. I guess the procedure went well. I woke up, but I was extremely nauseous. They told my dad and Brian that is seemed like I was using a narcotic prior to the surgery! I don't do that kind of stuff, thank you! They've never had anyone so nauseated after a procedure, and they were pretty worried about me. I think it was most likely because I swallowed a lot of blood (I had to have a tooth pulled back in the summer because it broke and there was no way to save it. If you remember losing a molar when you were younger, you know that they bleed a lot more. Well, I was nauseous that night and the day after, so I've had that experience).

I don't really remember leaving the office besides them putting me in a wheelchair. I don't remember the drive home accept for the stops when Brian went to get my meds (pain pills, antibiotics), because my dad got into the car to watch me while Brian got all that. I kind of remember coming home because I took my shoes off and I remembered to remember to take my contacts out and went to the bathroom. Next thing I know I woke up at 10:30 that night and was feeling a lot better and I had come to - fully. I took all the necessary pills and got ready for bed.

My right cheek is pretty swollen (comparitive to when I had my wisdom teeth removed), and it's a little tender. But I'm ok overall. My mom called me this morning and was surprised that I was at work. I have a bit of a headache, and the tenderness of the surgical site, but other than that I'm doing surprisingly well. Hopefully it will heal quickly.


Here's a pic of my swollen jaw =(

1 comment:

Wanda Husted said...

Hey Jenna, I came out of sedation unbelievably nauseated! I have NEVER been that sick before. I think they determined that it was a reaction to the drugs to sedate me. Sorry you felt so bad.