
The marathon of a weekend started on Friday morning about 9:15 A.M.. This lady comes running into the showroom at my work and asks me who the truck outside belongs to. Beats me I said, and asked why. Well, there was a puppy basically strangling himself in the back of the pickup. He's tied up with basically the material of a shoelace, but it's at least 5 feet long. He didn't have a collar, and this was wrapped around his neck. He was tied to this metal tool box with a hitch- like thing. He couldn't sit, he couldn't lay down (not including all the stuff that was back there like buckets, cheater-beaters, extension cords, etc.). So I rush out to help this dog that's strangling himself. Sheena at my work thought that I was being over-dramatic, but when she saw how he really was strangling himself, my boss, Travis came out. He didn't recognize the truck, so he ran into the back to the conference room to find out who's it was.
Well, it was this guy that was possibly going to be employed at Caffall Tile. He was filling out paperwork, and Travis says "Who's puppy is in the back of a truck?!" The guy said it was his. Travis then says, "well then why don't you not worry about that damn paperwork and take care of that dog! He's strangling out there!"
In the meantime, I was untying the dog so he could at least sit, and so his eyes wouldn't be bulging and red from not being able to breath. I was also giving him water since the guy was parked in the sun, and the pup had no shade. The guy comes out with Travis, and says that the dog isn't his, that he wondered up to his front door and that he was taking him to the pound. Now this guy has tattoos up and down his arms, and one of his tatts was of a pitbull! He asked if I wanted him, and I didn't know what Brian would think, but I didn't want the dog to not be given a chance. I took him home, and put him in Sadie's kennel (as you see in the picture).
I had put the dog up on KSL (our local news channel website), and within minutes I had people calling for him, but no takers. I wanted to sell him because then I knew someone would want to take care of him instead of fight him. I tried all weekend, and Saturday, I finally texted a friend with a pitbull, and she said she wanted another puppy. She came and got him, but her mom told her she couldn't keep him....so I was back with the dog again on Sunday. I lowered the pricing for the dog on KSL, but again, no takers. I decided that I couldn't really keep him with already having another dog. I decided to take him to the Humane Society. They had pitbulls there, and I knew they had a "no kill" policy there. Well, ends up that they are overloaded with animals at the moment and couldn't take him. They told me that the Salt Lake County Animal center took in animals. I went there, and they have this form you fill out, and 6 "kennels" to put the dogs (or other animals) in. They check them every 15 or so minutes. This girl opens the kennel, and I give her the puppy. I started to cry. I didn't want this to happen. I didn't want to see this puppy not given a chance.
Not two minutes later I get a text from Brian's cousin, Aaron. He said that his mom was heavily considering letting him have the puppy. That really hit me hard...here I just gave the puppy over to the county, not knowing if they'd let me have him back. I called first thing this morning at 8:00, and they said that "owners" change their minds all the time, and that there would just be a fee of $25 and if I didn't get him before noon, another fee of $8 would be assessed. I didn't care, I went and picked him up at lunch.
Aaron met me over at my house, and the pup and him got well acquainted. Aaron seems to be really fond of him which is what I was looking for.
The puppy's a real sweetheart who deserved a second chance at life, and if I hadn't have been there, I don't know what would have happened. I grew slightly attached to him, but didn't want another dog (especially a BIG one at that!). I get to see him off and on, and that makes me so happy.
I've always had a soft-spot for animals, and I always hate to see animals who don't even get a chance to experience a good life. I just wanted to provide that to him, and I did. I really love that feeling.


2 comments:
He was a cute puppy. I'm glad you found someone to love him! :)
What a cute puppy!I'm so glad you found him a good home!! I totally know what you mean about having a soft spot for animals- I do too!! I'm so sorry I missed the wedding- I ended up having to work all day that Saturday but I want to hear all about it!
Post a Comment